Missionaries of Charity


 

On 7th October, 1950, the Missionaries of Charity (then comprising only eleven women besides Mother Teresa) was recognized as an official congregation of the Catholic Church. In the ten years that followed, the order established houses all over India. Today, there are approximately 5,000 Missionaries of Charity active on every continent except Antarctica, with homes for orphans, handicapped or abandoned children and hospices for the sick, suffering and dying. The Missionaries also aid the homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics, prisoners, refugees and victims of natural disasters. The order today is comprised of five branches including the Active and Contemplative Brothers and Sisters and the Missionaries of Charity Fathers.

The Missionaries’ Global Presence